Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

VALS Results

 I had just taken the VALS Survey and it marked me as a Striver as my primary type, and an Experiencer as my secondary type.
 Strivers are defined as trendy and fun loving and motivated by achievement in the form of appeasing the thoughts and approval of others. Money defines success for strivers because its the only way to meet their desires, the choices they make in their purchases are to emulate people, in their opinion, of greater wealth. They're active consumers because shopping is both a social activity and ability to off their standing. Their purchases tend to also be impulsive. Strivers see themselves as having a job rather than a career, and have difficulty moving on because of lack of focus and marketable skills.

Favorite Things:
-Chevrolet
-Playboy
-Coke Classic
-Winning the lottery

 My secondary type, Experiencer, is defined as young, enthusiastic, and motivated by self-expression. They are impulsive consumers who are enthusiastic by new ideas and possibilities but are equally quick to cool. They like variety, excitement, new, offbeat, and risky. They find outlets in sports, outdoor recreation, and social activities. Experiencers are avid consumers and spend high amounts of their income on fashion, entertainment, and socializing. Purchases reflect their emphasis or idea of looking good and having 'cool' stuff.

Favorite Things:
-VW
-Rolling Stone
-Red Bull
-To be entertained

 Pinpointing my personality type with this survey is hit and miss. With striver, I am partially motivated by the approval of others, namely my family, as well as looking back at their mistakes and trying to avoid them myself. I think my purchases are my subconscious way of emulating people, not because they're rich, but because I admire them. For example, I have a taste for long coats, and bought a new woolen one for winter last fall during Black Friday. I could trace a number of sources of where this proclivity originated from. Neil Gaiman, my favorite author who always wore black and appears in black long coats on his book jackets; Harry Potter, because long coats look similar to Hogwarts robes; or Doctor Who, a brown longcoat was what made the 10th Doctor iconic.
 I don't consider myself an active consumer because I don't have a job, and therefore I only use my resources sparingly and if there is something I want, I research it to see if it's worthwhile and save until I can afford it, therefore, I'm not that impulsive in my purchases. However, I am self-conscious about my career prospects because my career goals and interests are probably not very marketable and sometimes I feel that I'm preparing myself for a dead end.
Now watch as the New Kids on the Rock portray my pain.
The only thing I like from the striver's favorite things is the Chevrolet brand of cars (I've grown tired of coke, I'm disinterested in playboy, and I rarely partake in the lottery).
 I think I am somewhat suitable as an experiencer because my career choice is motivated by self-expression and I get excited or interested when someone tries new ideas, gambles, or takes a risk in changing an old formula. Sometimes whenever I feel stressed or when I'm just taking a break, I go out for a walk. As for my spending habits, it is significantly spent on entertainment as I have a large movie, video game, and book library to the point I'm having trouble finding room to store them. Other than being entertained, the examples provided by the Favorite things are not mine, (save, perhaps the VW brand).

No comments:

Post a Comment